Whelen super-LED red flashing 'police' strobes lights-beacons

Discussion in 'Truck Classifieds' started by MilleArp, Feb 5, 2010.

1. MilleArp

MilleArp Full Member

anjganore
    I have for sale a pair (2) of red LED emergency flashing strobes. These are like the kind you'd find in your rearview mirror when you've been doing 30mph over for a while on I-75.

These are made by Whelen (whelen.com). They are the model D2RR 2-Light Dominator Series Super-LED flashers. They are designed to be used with a 12V car/truck system, but you can power them with a little 9V battery to test them.

Here is an assembly manual: http://www.whelen.com/install/138/13897.pdf This manual has the basic specifications for the unit. These are built into thick aluminum weather-resistant housings.

Here is a picture and retail price: Whelen Dominator LED Lighthead - D2 from SWPS.com . Note mine are all red, not blue/red like the picture.

Each D2RR unit has two sets of three super-bright LED strobe flashers, total of six per unit. These ARE bright, they will blind you if you look into them.

The two units are like new. They've never been installed in a car. They have the mounting bolts and wiring harness still attached (no Molex tho).
    They were once used as a gag gift, mounted on an older person's walker, powered by a 9V battery, to "get people out of my way". A low-mileage walker at that!

Anyway, funny story aside, I'd like to get $220- for the pair.
    If you only want one, I'd sell just one for $120-.

Please PM me.

Thanx!

2. vansdonk

vansdonk Banned

Aircraft Structural Mech
    Home Page:
    Aren't those illegal in most states?

3. davbell22602

davbell22602 Senior Member

unsure on that type

4. mudseeker

mudseeker Senior Member

fixer of many things
    for civilians, yes.

public safety officials could install these in their personal vehicle with the proper paper work.

5. chevyguy

chevyguy Senior Member

professional blimp pilot and rodeo clown
    Yes blus lights are reserved for law enforcement. use on the public roads will result in fines and possible jail time. Not a great idea.

6. Kennyray

Kennyray Moderator
    Staff Member

Maintenance
    In Indiana blue or red was law enforcement, red fire or ambulance, and green was volunteer fire dept.

7. BernieB

BernieB Full Member

I don't know of any state that would allow these on the front or sides of any private vehicle not being operated by a police officer or other public safety official but... They'd be perfectly legal on the rear of a private vehicle in many states.

(Check your local state laws first though, of course.)

8. davbell22602

davbell22602 Senior Member

I want the amber bar lights for across the roof of my truck cab for towing vehicles with a dolly.

9. BernieB

BernieB Full Member

It's confusing when going from one state to another, because different light colors, and different combinations of colors, mean different things. In NY police use only red or red & white (NYPD also uses red, white and amber), ambulances and fire trucks use red & white, volunteer firefighters use blue (only use of blue lights on private vehicles that I know of in any state - and a good way to tell if a movie scene was really filmed in NYC, if the "NYPD" cars have blue lights it was filmed elsewhere) and EMT's or paramedics use green lights. I remember thinking, when I first became a NY EMT, "Yeah, like NY drivers are going to do anything but speed up when they see a flashing green light...", and then did what most EMT's in NYC did... bought a red one. NYPD tends to look the other way at that, provided you're not being an a-hole about it, because cops in NYC tend to like EMTs.

I'm still not used to seeing blue lights on police vehicles, and I moved from NY ten years ago.

10. BernieB

BernieB Full Member

Get yourself a set with magnet mounts Dave. Then you can use them as needed and not have to worry about them hitting garage doors, wind drag, etc.